Sourdough Baking for Cooks & Chefs
JOE FITZMAURICE OF RIOTRYE
Tues 24 APRIL, 10am-6pm
RIOTRYE BAKEHOUSE & BREADSCHOOL, CLOUGHJORDAN
This hands-on course is suitable for chefs and cooks who want to incorporate sourdough baking into their daily routine. No experience of sourdough baking is necessary.
Joe Fitzmaurice has been around food in a commercial setting for 4 decades and he will teach you his tried and tested methods for baking sourdough breads in your working environment.
All participants are asked to try making their own sourdough starter the week leading up to the course and to bring it with them to the course.
Find instructions here
- Real Bread
- Incorporating sourdough baking in your daily kitchen routine
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- how to maintain a range of sourdough starters
- how to manage the fermentation and flavour of your doughs
- how to blend flours and flavours
- how to maintain consistency in your baking
- how to shape and score (cut) your loaves to get the best results
- how to design a baking schedule to fit your working day
- how to regulate your recipes to suit your kitchen ovens and place of work
- how to use baker percentages to create and regulate your own recipes, as well as advice on the equipment required to get started.
- Introduction – where everyone will have the chance to introduce themselves, detail their experience and state what their needs are from the course.
- Look at everyone’s sourdough starters and learn how to maintain and achieve optimum fermentation with your sourdough starter.
- Learn about the different qualities of different flours and grains and how to blend them.
- Learn how to make Country White Sourdough loaf using a commercial mixer.
- Learn how to make 100% Rye Sourdough loaf by hand, using a no-knead technique.
- Learn about bakers percentages in order to design your own recipes.
- How to tailor a baking schedule to suit your own set-up.
- Throughout the course, there will be plenty of time for questions.
THIS IS A FULLY HANDS-ON COURSE with ONLY 8 PLACES AVAILABLE.
Taking place in the RiotRye Bakehouse you will see the bread cooked in the wood fired oven as well as experiencing and outlining how it can be cooked with a range of different cooking facilities and set-ups - and is specifically geared towards being adapted to the professional non-bakery specialised kitchen environment.
These courses are run just a couple of times a year and always book out quickly. This course has been arranged specially for Chef Network members only and is available to you at a subsidised rate through Chef network Skillnet.
Tues 24 APRIL
Workshop will run from 10am to 6pm.
Please arrive by 9.45am
Refreshments & Lunch will be provided and are included in the course price.
COST: €85 per trainee (NORMAL COURSE PRICE: €120) TRAINING FEES ARE SUBSIDISED THROUGH THE CHEF NETWORK SKILLNET AND AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS ONLY.
NOT A MEMBER YET? SIGN-UP FREE
Terms & COnditions:
your Booking is only confirmed once payment is received in FULL.
CANCELLaTION, WITH FULL REFUND, IS POSSIBLE uP TO THURS 19th APRIL.
TRAINER: JOe Fitzmaurice, RIOT RYE
Joe Fitzmaurice is one of the leading practitioners of Real Bread and sourdough baking in Ireland today. With his wife Julie Lockett, he runs the multi-award winning wood-fired Riot Rye Bakehouse & Bread School in Cloughjordan Eco-village, Co. Tipperary.
Riot Rye was awarded ‘Restaurant Association of Ireland ‘Best Cookery School All Ireland 2017’ and in 2016, Joe received the Irish Food Writers Guild ‘Special Contribution to Irish Food Award’. Joe is also a co-founder of Real Bread Ireland which was awarded the 2016 Euro-Toques, Food Award in recognition of its outstanding contribution to Irish food.
Riot Rye’s online recipes and videos for ‘The Common Loaf – a movement to empower Ireland to bake real bread’ are used by people worldwide.
THIS IS A CHEF NETWORK SKILLNET TRAINING EVENT
The Chef Network Skillnet is funded by member companies and the Training Networks Programme, an initiative of Skillnets funded from the National Training Fund through the Department of Education and Skills